Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Not Quite Yet, but Texas is Already on my Mind

First stop on this sipping sojourn is a hotel in Baltimore before we fly out of BWI in the morning.

Considering our schedule we (wisely) decided to just have dinner at the hotel. But alas where my heart had already been planning for a Clipper City or Natty Boh there was no local beer to be had.

However amid the bland choices of watered down Miller or Bud there emerged an interesting choice.... Shiner Bock.

Now truth be told this was my ace in the hole for tomorrow as our flight has a layover in Dallas and I had already planned this one out. But in light of the situation I had to act.

And Shiner never disappoints.  When trying to step away from the ordinary, she has a way of popping up and saying "there's a better choice". Tonite was no exception. Paired with a buffalo chicken sandwich it was a perfect way to start the journey.

What's interesting is that this is the one Shiner brew that seems to have escaped the great state of Texas.  What's up with the other fine Shiner brews?  The web site mentions a blonde ale. That should surely be worthy of export. But the faithful Bock is the only one that people outside of Texas seem to able to sip.  I'll have to investigate further.

Of course now the quandry that faces me is.... What's waiting for me in Texas tomorrow? It's a worthy challenge.

No comments: