Sunday, July 20, 2008

Daring... but part of mainstream


We never got around to grocery shopping this weekend so the family loaded up and went to Joe's Crab Shack for dinner (yes, I feel for a trite ad during a TNT movie this afternoon).

Walked up to the bar while waiting for a table and perused the handles on the draft beers.  Out of all the ones I expected to see there was one I hadn't seen before.  Beach Bum Blonde Ale.  Ahh something refreshingly new to try (or so I thought).

First, an opinion..... Light and refreshing.  I really like the color and the malty flavor which leaves a pleasant aftertaste.  It was a great compliment to the summer season and dinner meal (seafood of course).  Bit of a fruit taste like a hefeweisen with the lemon already added.  There are some at Beer Advocate that review it better, but suffice to say... I'd drink it again.

So what's there not to like?  It's another Anheuser-Busch beer.  Yeah for them for bringing out something seasonal that expands the palette.  However, it would be nice to see these restaurants looking for something a bit more off the beaten path when providing beer options.

Bottom line.  Good beer that I'd happily drink again, I just know where my money is going this time.

No comments: