Thursday, December 4, 2008

Multiple Beer-sonality

Or as one might say "An Ale of 2 Seasons".

I usually don't venture to the Giant unless it is to explore the expanded beer section. And what a variety I had to choose from the other night.

The weather is getting colder which is an opportunity to put aside the light and refreshing taste of the summer ales and embrace beer's dark and heavier side. So my taste buds were automatically drawn to the holiday porters. A choice had to be made between a holiday Dominion Porter and Michelob's Winter Bourbon Cask Ale. Well since I no longer have any loyalty to Dominion it was an easy choice (more on that later).

Ahh... but as I walked back up the aisle, there was that last remnant of summer calling my name. Kona Brewing Company's Longboard Lager. So I grabbed a 6 pack and pondered the dichotomy of the situation.

And you know what? It works! At the end of the day and during a dinner the lighter lager refreshes. And for an evening of relaxation the darker cask ale provides a satisfying respite. If this keeps up, I'll have to find some other summer/winter mixes to enjoy. Give it a shot and let me know what you think.

No comments: