Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Starting in the Old Dominion with Starr Hill's The Gift

We haven't quite left home, but that doesn't mean I can't start my beer journey.


So for lunch, I took the opportunity to crack open a bottle of The Gift -Winter Bock Lager from Starr Hill Brewery.  I love this beer for two reasons.

1)  It's the last of the truly "local beers" in that it's brewed in Virginia.
2)  Other than sneaking in a Bell's Christmas Ale, it's been my holiday beer of choice for 2009.

It's got a great blend of tastes that really mix it up and take it out of the category of lagers (I owe that to the Bock style) so don't let the "lager" category fool you.  Or as Starr Hill says on their website:

  • A German-style Hellerbock with a few twists, The Gift is Starr Hill’s holiday offering. The beautiful golden color only hints at the fire inside. Made with two-row and Munich malts and balanced with German noble hops, The Gift is the perfect accompaniment to any holiday event or festivity.

Either way, it's been a perfect compliment through the holidays as I've been cooking, cleaning and spending time with family.  So it seemed a fitting way to start this journey.

Next stop, Maryland where we stay before flying out of Baltimore tomorrow morning.  

No comments: