Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Winter hits Northern Virginia

It's gotten cold here in Northern Virginia.  17 degrees when I walked the dog this morning.  And the wind chill?  Let's just say BRRRRRRRRRRR.......

So it was perfect night to come home and enjoy the butternut squash soup my darling wife had made for dinner.  I opened the fridge and looked for a hearty winter brew to compliment it.

And here's where I have to take back my previous post.  I had picked up some of Old Dominion's Baltic Porter.  Paired with some sourdough bread, savory soup and fresh sharp cheddar cheese it provided a smooth compliment to the meal and an even better after dinner beverage.   Dark in color, smooth, chocolate-like flavor and a pleasant aftertaste.

I have to agree with David over at Musings Over a Pint that this is a fine example of another good seasonal brew from Old Dominion - and I do hope they keep up the quality when they move to Delaware.  I just wish that a beer named after my state was still going to be in this state.

1 comment:

Daria Steigman said...

Hi Ray,

Sounds like my kind of beverage! Good to find a kindred beer spirit.

Happy holidays,
Daria